No Need to Call Police For Minor Traffic Incidents

Police will no longer need to be involved in minor traffic incidents – where vehicles require towing or can be driven away – starting from 15 October 2014.

However, you’ll still need to call the police if someone is injured, drunk, or if they don’t exchange details.

And if a vehicle needs to be towed away from the scene, you will need to report the incident to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. This can be done later once you are safely away from the site of the incident.

In a media release, Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said these changes will result in a more streamlined process for motorists.

“The changes will mean drivers involved in tow-away only collisions will now be able to safely make their way off the road and organise their own tow from the area.

Assistant Commissioner Hartley also said that the changes will help improve driver safety.

“The safety of drivers will also improve as they will be able to move from the crash site as soon as practicable, minimising the likelihood of any injury from a secondary impact as well as unnecessary wait time.”

When Do You Still Need to Call the Police?

You will still need to call the police if you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle incident if:

  1. Injury or Death: If someone at the scene has been injured or died
  2. Driving Under the Influence: If one of the drivers involved is drunk, or under the influence of drugs
  3. No Details Exchanged: If the one or more of the drivers fail to exchange their details.

The changes commence on 15 October 2014.



See how we can help you

< Back to News