How do I make a claim after a motorbike crash?

If you’ve been seriously injured after a motorbike crash, then you may be wondering how you make a claim for injury compensation. In this article, we take a look at some of the things you need to know when making a compensation claim after a motorbike accident.

Motorbike crash claims

Motorbike crash claims are treated in the same manner as other motor vehicle claims that may also involve cars, trucks, cyclists, and pedestrians. You’ll need to know the compulsory third party (CTP) insurer of the motor vehicle that caused the accident. Then you can lodge a personal injury claim form with the CTP insurer.

Keep in mind that making a claim can be complex and an experienced personal injury lawyer can help ensure that you have the right advice along the way for a successful claim.

How long do you have to make a claim?

Firstly, the police must be notified within 28 days of the motorbike crash, otherwise your claim may be adversely affected. Secondly, the personal injury claim must be lodged with the CTP insurer within six months after the accident.

What if the accident was a hit and run?

Unfortunately, hit and run accidents have been known to happen where a motorcyclist is injured and the car that caused the motorbike crash keeps driving. In these hit and run situations, you can still make a personal injury claim even though the car is unidentified and the relevant CTP insurer is unknown.

The NSW government runs what’s known as the ‘nominal defendant’ scheme, which allows personal injury claims to proceed even if the vehicle at fault is unknown or uninsured.

What information do I need to have for the claim?

When you make a claim for personal injury compensation, you’ll need to provide details of the accident, the extent of your injuries and the amount of money you’re out of pocket as a result of the motorbike accident. Out of pocket expenses include money spent on medical bills and loss of wages if you’ve been unable to work. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to help you piece together the information and supporting evidence you’ll need for the claim.

How much compensation can I claim?

It’s possible to make an early claim to cover you for the cost of medical treatment and lost earnings after your motorbike crash. Up to $5,000 in compensation is available by sending an accident notification form to the CTP insurer.

When it comes to making your formal claim for personal injury compensation, there are many factors that may affect how much compensation you may receive. Some of the factors include: the severity of your injuries, the level of your permanent impairment or disability, your age, losses from both past and future earnings, and the cost of your medical treatment and rehabilitation.

CTP changes coming soon

Finally, it’s important to note that changes are coming to the way CTP insurance claims work in NSW. Some of the changes include no-fault statutory benefits available for up to six months for anyone injured in a motor vehicle accident, even if they caused the crash. Common law damages will still be available for those suffering from serious injuries. You can learn more about the changes to NSW’s CTP laws here.

Talk to NSW Compensation Lawyers

If you’ve been seriously injured in a motorbike crash and need help seeking compensation, then be sure to speak to our friendly team of compensation experts for the right advice. You can call NSW Compensation Lawyers on (02) 9601 0088.

See how we can help you

< Back to News