How do I make a motor vehicle injury compensation claim?

If you are hurt in a motor vehicle accident in New South Wales you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries. But how to go about making a claim? It can sometimes be a bit confusing and a little daunting to have to deal with all the paperwork. And how can you be sure you’re doing the right thing?

Speak to a Lawyer

Given the complexities involved we strongly advise that you speak to a lawyer as soon as possible to get the right advice about what to do to get the best compensation you’ll need to help rebuild your life.

Report the accident to the police

One of the first things you need to do is to report the accident to the police. You need to do this within 28 days of the accident otherwise you’ll need to prove why the delay was justified.

Find out the other car’s insurer

You’ll also need to find out the green-slip insurer of the other car involved in the accident. To do this you can call the Motor Accidents Authority and tell them the number plate of the other car.

Complete the personal injury claim form

You’ll then need to fill out the personal injury claim form which you can download from the Motor Accidents Authority website. You’ll need to provide all the details to support your claim for compensation including details about the accident. Your lawyer will be able to help you to fill out the form to ensure you include all the critical information you’ll need for a successful claim.

How much compensation will I receive?

The amount of personal injury compensation you receive depends on the severity of your injuries. Generally compensation may include lump sum compensation for non-economic loss (pain and suffering), past and future medical expenses, past and future economic loss and past and future domestic assistance and care.

Will I need to go to court?

Your claim will initially be assessed by the Claims Assessment and Resolution Service (CARS) which will examine the evidence to decide if the insurer is liable to pay you compensation and if so how much. If your claim has been successful then the insurer will make an offer of settlement. At this stage it is important to receive independent legal advice prior to accepting any offer of settlement to make sure you are receiving your just compensation. Your lawyer can help you decide whether to accept the offer or take the matter to court.




See how we can help you

< Back to News