What happens when I make a car accident injury claim?

If you are ever injured in a car accident and you want to seek compensation to pay for your medical bills and lost income, then you will need to fill out a claim form. But once you’ve submitted your form, what happens next? This article aims to explain the claims process and what you need to do next.

Time limits

In NSW, strict time limits govern when people can make a compensation claim for personal injury. That’s why it is critically important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after an injury so you can be advised in detail about these limitations, as well as your rights and entitlements.

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident you should report the incident as soon as possible. This is because if you need to lodge a claim for compensation the accident must have been reported within 28 days (unless there were exceptional circumstances involved).

To make a compensation claim for injuries you have suffered in a motor vehicle accident you need to lodge a personal injury claim form to the CTP insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident.

The personal injury claim should be lodged with the CTP insurer no later than 6 months after the accident. Your claim could be affected if you miss this deadline.

Upfront payments

If you submit an accident notification form you may be entitled to up to $5000 to cover you for medical bills and lost income up to six months after your accident. You’ll need to provide the insurer with the relevant documentation and receipts for expenditure.

What the insurer will do

The insurer will contact you soon after receipt of your personal injury claim form and tell you your claim number and the contact details of the person handling your claim.

The insurer will then start an investigation into your claim and check police reports of the accident and reports from doctors and other health professionals. Once the investigation is concluded you will be advised whether the insurer will accept liability for your injuries. The process should take no more than three months.


If the insurer accepts your claim then they will send you a settlement offer which will include money to cover you for medical bills, rehabilitation, travel costs, as well as lost income (past and future).

You don’t have to accept the offer and it’s possible to negotiate a different amount, but remember once the offer is accepted the claim is over and you can’t make further claims about your injuries. This is where an experienced lawyer can really help you out.

Talk to a senior lawyer

When it comes to seeking compensation for personal injury, it pays to speak to a senior lawyer as soon as you can to give your claim the best chance for success.

At NSW Compensation Lawyers, our lawyers have the knowledge and expertise to help our clients rebuild their lives when unfortunate accidents happen wherever they may occur.

So if you’re ever hurt in a car accident, at work, or from a fall in a public place you can be assured that we will be here to help you get the compensation you deserve.

See how we can help you

< Back to News