Cycling and personal injury claims: What you need to know if you have an accident

As cycling grows in popularity with more people riding to and from work, sharing the roads with other commuter vehicles, cycling safety has become a focus for governments around the world. In NSW, the state government recently introduced the “one-metre” rule to ensure that motorists leave a safe distance when overtaking bike riders.

Despite increased safety legislation and awareness, accidents can still occur, so it’s important to know what rights you have to make a personal injury claim if you are hurt while riding a bike.

Personal injury compensation for cycling accidents

Cyclists have the same rights to personal injury compensation as any other road user if they are seriously injured in an accident.

However, it’s worth noting that compensation for personal injury may vary according to the extent of the injuries and the circumstances of the accident.

If you are injured in an accident you should talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as you can. Your lawyer will be able to assess your claim and advise you on how best to proceed.

How much time do I have to make a personal injury claim?

Your first step in making a personal injury claim is to report the accident to the police. You have 28 days to report the accident in order to proceed with lodging a personal injury claim. If you were injured in an accident with a motor vehicle, you then have six months to lodge a personal injury claim.

Your lawyer will be able to advise you on what to do. The most important thing to remember is that the clock is ticking and you need to talk to a lawyer as soon as you can to ensure the best result for your personal injury claim.

How do I make a personal injury claim?

If your accident involved a motor vehicle, make sure you take note of the number plate of the vehicle at fault. Your next step will be to contact the Motor Accidents Authority, inform them of the number plate and they’ll let you know the green slip insurer’s details.

When you make your personal injury claim to the compulsory third party (CTP) insurer, you’ll need to give all the details about the accident to support your claim for compensation.

An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you fill out the form to make sure that you include everything you need to get a successful result.

What do I need to tell my lawyer?

Your lawyer will need to know all the details about your accident and anything else that’s relevant to your personal injury claim. Describe as much about the accident as you can, including when and where it happened, who was involved, the details of how the accident happened as well as the details of any witnesses.

Talk to a senior personal injury lawyer

At NSW Compensation Lawyers our friendly team has specialist knowledge in assisting cyclists with personal injury claims – we’re always happy to help. Contact us to find out how we can help you get the best possible result.

See how we can help you

< Back to News