Proudly Serving The People Of NSW

Motor Accidents Compensation Claim FAQs

Motor accidents cause more than 400 deaths and 25,000 injuries in Australia each year. If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident NSW Compensation Lawyers can help you make your claim for personal injury compensation quickly and successfully.

I was injured in a motor vehicle accident. Am I entitled to compensation?

Yes. In New South Wales people injured in motor vehicle accidents can claim personal injury compensation under the NSW Motor Accident Scheme. You must however prove that the driver of the vehicle or unidentified vehicle was responsible for the accident.

What if the accident was my fault?

You are still able to claim personal injury compensation even if you are partly at fault in causing your injuries. For example if you were injured because you weren’t wearing a seatbelt or were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you are still entitled to personal injury compensation under the Motor Accidents Scheme however, a deduction may be made from the damages you receive as a result of your own contributory negligence.

What is contributory negligence?

In some incidences where it is determined that you are partly to blame for the accident, your blame will be assessed in percentage terms and a deduction will be made from the overall damages you receive in the sum of our contributory negligence in percentage terms. For example, if it was determined that you were 10% liable for your injuries, then 10% would be deducted from the gross amount of damages you receive.

How do I make a claim for compensation?

The expert legal team at NSW Compensation Lawyers deals with motor vehicle accident claims everyday and knows exactly what to do to make sure your claim for compensation meets all the requirements under the Motor Accidents Scheme. To make a claim for compensation you need to get the registration number of the vehicle that caused the accident and make sure the accident has been reported to the police. Our specialist motor accident compensation lawyers can assist you to complete the Accident Notification Form or motor accident personal injury claim form. A claim needs to be lodged within 6 months otherwise an explanation for delay needs to be provided. It is imperative that a claim be lodged within that time limit otherwise you could be precluded from lodging a claim at all. You need to also ensure that the form is lodged with the insurer within 28 days of the accident.

The professional legal team at New South Wales Compensation Lawyers will handle all the red-tape requirements for you to ensure that you receive your just compensation as quickly as possible.

I was injured in a motor vehicle accident and the bills are adding up. What can I do?

You can make an immediate claim to the insurer for reimbursement and payment of your reasonable and necessary medical treatment as well as any loss of income if you are unable to work.

The insurer will pay you up to $5,000 for treatment and loss of income suffered within six months of the accident. This payment is to assist you until the insurer determines your personal injury claim.

Talk to NSW Compensation Lawyers today and we can help arrange for reimbursement of your medical expenses and loss of income as soon as possible

How much personal injury compensation will I receive?

The amount of personal injury compensation you receive depends on the severity of your injuries. Generally heads of damage that can be claimed may include lump sum compensation for non-economic loss (pain & suffering), past and future medical expenses, past and future economic loss and past and future domestic assistance and care.

The insurer will make an offer of settlement to you once it is determined that your injuries are stabilised and your claim is capable of being assisted. It is important to receive independent legal advice prior to accepting any offer of settlement to make sure you are receiving your just compensation.

At NSW Compensation Lawyers our experienced motor vehicles accident compensation lawyers will be able to advise you whether any settlement offer is in your best interests. We negotiate with insurers on behalf of our clients every day and we will fight to ensure that you receive your maximum entitlement to compensation.

My husband suffered a spinal cord injury and severe brain injury in a motor vehicle accident. What compensation is he entitled to?

People who suffer a spinal cord injury, a moderate to severe brain injury, multiple amputations, serious burns or blindness from a motor accident are able to access the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme.

The Lifetime Care and Support Scheme provides lifelong treatment, rehabilitation and attendant care for people who suffer a serious motor vehicle injury. The skilled legal team at NSW Compensation Lawyers handle compensation claims for people who suffer severe injuries in motor vehicle accidents with compassion and vigilance and will be able to advise you on what your loved ones entitlements are in terms of compensation.


Seeking Maximum Compensation

injury compensation lawyers

NSW Compensation Lawyers will work tirelessly to maximise your compensation.

Learn More learn more

NSW Personal Compensation Specialists

compensation solicitors

Choose NSW Compensation Lawyers if you want the best legal team on your side.

Learn More learn more

No Win No Charge*
Contact us today

nsw solicitors

NSW Compensation Lawyers is the right choice with our No-Win No Charge* policy.

Learn More learn more